I cooked up a batch of these for lunch today. Just look at these scallops! This is one of those things that I look at and think, “wow, look at that!” (FYI – tastes wow, too)
I would like to take this time to thank Alton Brown (Host of Good Eats, Feasting on Asphault and Iron Chef America) for shaping my culinary consciousness.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM … these were good! There aren’t many things that I have actually written a recipe for, but this is one, and it’s sure-fire not to disappoint:
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 5 Garlic cloves – halved
- 6-7 U10 sized scallops
- 1 Lime wedge
- Heat a 10″ or 12″ pan over medium-high heat.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to pan
- Add crushed red pepper flakes and garlic halves to olive oil
- SautÃ© so that pepper and garlic oils infuse the olive oil
- Remove garlic halves once they become golden brown
- With half of the Kosher salt, liberally season one side of scallops
- Place scallops in pan, seasoned side down – DO NOT TOUCH FOR 3 MINUTES*
- Season exposed side of scallops with remaining Kosher salt
- After 3 minutes, flip each scallop – DO NOT TOUCH FOR 3 MINUTES*
- After 3 minutes, remove scallops from pan
- Squeeze lime juice over scallops and enjoy
* overcooking will result in tough, rubbery scallops
* undercooking will not allow the nice golden outer crust
uh, the foam/bubbles you see in the photo are from a little slice of butter that I added in this batch today.